DISCLAIMER


15 January 2012

On some other 2012 words: change, learn, prepare


From the list of words for 2012, come the words change, learn, and prepare.

I’ve already begun to make some changes.  This weekend I am leaving Clinton and moving to Vicksburg.  This comes with some happy and some sad.  Happy that I no longer have to commute and will have a full two more hours in my day.  Sad that I’m leaving behind the wonderful Boyd/Boyte family who took me in and let me stay with them for almost half a year, even though the original plan was 1-3 months.  So a big “thank you” to them!  I’m sure there will be many more changes this year, but that’s one to start with.

My other word for this post, learn, will also be featured more than just this once, I’m sure, because there are millions of opportunities to learn.  Currently, I am using much of my free time to teach myself and learn more about photography (all aspects of it).  I buy books, read them, use them as workbooks, play with my camera as I read them, etc.  I feel like this could be a never-ending process, but I also feel like I’m learning so much.

I’m also learning so much about teaching, being a teacher, school administration, and the world of education in general.  It’s one of those learning situations where you’re not sure if it’s helping you or hurting you.  What I mean by this is, the more I earn about the education system, the more I’m not sure if I want to be in it for the rest of my working life (or at least not in public/high school).  Part of working at a high school is really making me want to go back and get my PhD.  However, I think about the current job market and there are so many people out there (believe it or not) with German PhDs that I don’t think I’ll ever get a job.  Maybe I should consider another area…maybe international studies? Administration? Anything else?  But what I have learned is that I’m not sure this is the job oath for me.  And I guess it’s good that I’m learning this now, so that I have the option of changing my path before I get stuck in it.

Which brings us to the word prepare.  By learning all I can about every aspect of photography, I feel like I’m preparing myself for the eventual launch of the website that I’ve been working on for too long now.  The more I learn and work towards that goal, the more confidence I have in my photography and self as a photographer.  I feel that there are a few more things that I need to learn/master and put into place before I feel most comfortable, but I’m well on the road to where I need to be.  Even if it is slow and at my own pace, I feel that it’s moving along.

As I mentioned before, these words will have many definitions, and throughout the year these will change again and again.  Maybe I’ll fumble and have to reroute, but here she goes for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment