DISCLAIMER


18 August 2013

Sunday Breadtime Stories

Might make this a weekly blog post series, we'll see. Guess it'll depend on how often I make bread.

I’ve been wanting to get back into baking my own breads.  I haven’t really made any since I lived in Germany and that was a while back. 

I started this Sunday with an easy bread recipe.  Or so I thought.  Making bread is hard work, heh.

I followed this recipe. I mean, it says it’s the BEST bread.  Plus the pictures look like bread I want to eat.  I gave it two rounds, the first, per the bloggers suggestions; I used white wheat flour for 3 cups of the flour.  Not sure what went wrong, but it did not rise like it was really supposed to and did not come out nearly as fluffy as the pictures look in the original blog post.  I also used honey instead of sugar.  The directions say to divide the dough into thirds, roll it out, roll it up, and put it in the baking dish.  Here’s the first go round:


With the addition of the white wheat flower and honey, it was very dense and had that typical homemade bread taste.

For the second round, I used solely all purpose flour and sugar instead of the honey.  I also only divided it in half.  The in process dough looked a lot more like the pictures the original blogger showed, which made me happy.  And the cut bread looks more like what I wanted and definitely less dense.  I mean, it’s still dense, but it’s much better.  Here’s the second go round:



All in all, I would not say it’s the BEST bread as claimed.  It could also be baker error.  The second version tasted much better than the first.  It is definitely an easy bread to play and experiment with.

No comments:

Post a Comment